Softball

Syracuse splits doubleheader against Penn, Central Michigan

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

SU came back to beat Penn but left eight runners on base, struck out out nine times and didn't draw a single walk against Central Michigan in the second game.

Syracuse split its games on Saturday against Pennsylvania and Central Michigan in Tampa, Florida.

SU (12-6) beat Penn (2-2), 7-3, in a game the Orange didn’t get going until the fourth inning. The Quakers held a one-run lead through the third inning and extended it to three in the fourth with a Lainey Dorris home run. In the bottom of the inning, SU scored its first run off of a home run by Sydney O’Hara. Still, the Quakers stayed strong, getting out of the inning holding onto a two-run lead.

In the fifth, O’Hara provided another RBI for SU, closing the gap to one. In the sixth inning, a single by sophomore infielder Alicia Hansen brought in two and sparked a five-run inning for the Orange. O’Hara, a senior, pitched the top of the seventh and struck out all three batters, securing Syracuse’s victory.

While offense was hard to come by for much of the game, freshman pitcher Alexa Romero came in and did what she has done in six of her 10 appearances this season — she didn’t allow a single run in the circle. That and O’Hara’s five strikeouts helped SU keep the score close and win.

Against Central Michigan (8-6), the Orange did not score a run in the first three innings. SU didn’t score a run in the remaining four innings, either. The Orange lost 3-0 despite the Chippewas recording only one more hit than SU. Central Michigan pitcher Rachael Knapp dominated.

SU’s AnnaMarie Gatti started the game for SU and failed to get out of the second inning, allowing two runs before she was pulled. Romero came in and kept Syracuse close by allowing only one run. The defense was solid for the rest of the game, before O’Hara came in and shut out Central Michigan through the final two frames.

But Syracuse left eight runners on base, struck out out nine times and didn’t draw a single walk.

Syracuse begins conference play next Friday at North Carolina State.