Women's lacrosse

Opponent Preview: Everything to know about Virginia Tech

Calysta Lee | Contributing Photographer

After a 13-12 overtime loss to No. 12 Stony Brook Tuesday night, No. 5 Syracuse looks to bounce back as it travels to Virginia Tech Saturday.

No. 5 Syracuse fell to No. 12 Stony Brook 13-12 in overtime Tuesday, a familiar result for the program this season. Two weeks earlier, then-No. 5 SU lost to then-No. 9 Maryland 9-8 in overtime. The Orange have lost two games in the extra period to lower-ranked opponents this season.

Still, Syracuse has a perfect 2-0 record in the Atlantic Coast Conference, defeating then-No.2 Notre Dame and Duke. In what has been an inconsistent start to the season, Syracuse has faced ranked opponents in 5-of-6 games, resulting in a .500 mark.

SU travels to Virginia Tech Saturday for its third ACC matchup, and second game against an unranked opponent. In their seven games, the Hokies have two losses, falling by double-digits in both of their matchups versus ranked teams.

Here’s everything you need to know before No. 5 Syracuse (3-3, 2-0 ACC) faces Virginia Tech (5-2, 1-1 ACC):

All-time series

Syracuse leads 16-1.

Last time they played…

Syracuse defeated Virginia Tech 14-12 in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals on April 26, 2023, behind Meaghan Tyrrell’s five-point performance. After starting the season with a program-best 15-0 record, the Orange fell to Boston College to end the regular season and nearly lost their second straight game.

Both teams traded goals to begin the game before Emma Ward scored with 16 seconds left in the second quarter to give SU a 6-5 lead at halftime. In the third, the Orange continued their scoring run, netting three more goals to take a 9-5 advantage. The Hokies brought the game within one with 6:27 remaining.

Tyrrell scored two goals in the next 90 seconds to lift the Orange past VT and into the ACC semifinals.

The Hokies report

In 2024, Virginia Tech is a perfect 5-0 against unranked teams but has fallen in its two matchups with ranked teams. The Hokies fell to then-No. 3 James Madison 17-5 and dropped to then-No. 1 Boston College 20-7. Both games were on the road, and for the first time this season, VT is hosting a ranked opponent when it plays Syracuse.

The Hokies defeated Louisville 14-10 to open ACC play. The win over the Cardinals was the fourth in a row for VT. Then, the Eagles ended the win streak and handed Virginia Tech its first conference loss of 2024. VT returned to Blacksburg and defeated Elon 17-7 Wednesday.

VT has scored 13.29 goals per game, ranking near the bottom of the ACC. Virginia Tech returns its top four scorers from 2023 and added transfer Kayla Downey, but the offense has been held at or below seven goals two times this season.

Cindy Zhang | Digital Design Director

How SU beats Virginia Tech

After their second overtime loss of 2024, the Orange will need to flush Tuesday’s game from their memory. Syracuse has faced just one unranked opponent this season, defeating Duke 15-8 on March 2.

For SU to advance to 3-0 in ACC play, it needs to return to the recipe that led to its victory over the Blue Devils. The Orange jumped out to a 6-1 lead after the first quarter behind three straight goals by Emma Tyrrell. The early lead allowed SU to dominate the rest of the game, not allowing Duke to cut the lead under seven goals for the entire second half.

Emma has tallied multi-goal games in each of the last four games and Olivia Adamson is pacing the SU attack with 17 goals. If Natalie Smith can return to her early season form in which she scored 13 goals in four games, and SU’s defense limits the Hokies attack, the Orange will advance to 4-3.

Stat to know: .100

In Virginia Tech’s last 10 regular season games against ranked opponents, it is 1-9. The Hokies’ only victory against an Inside Lacrosse top 25 team was when it defeated then-No. 20 Duke in triple overtime 14-13 on April 1, 2023.

Last season, the Hokies went 1-7 versus ranked opponents, falling in its first five of those matchups before topping Duke. This season, VT trailed by eight or more goals at halftime in both ranked games and was unable to overcome its early deficit.

Player to watch: Kayla Downey, attack, No. 22

Downey arrived at Virginia Tech ahead of the 2024 season and has made an immediate impact on offense. The fifth-year started her career at Stony Brook before transferring to Coastal Carolina ahead of her sophomore season. In three seasons with the Chanticleers, Downey scored 207 points and earned ASUN Player of the Year in 2023.

After transferring to Blacksburg, Downey is leading the Hokies’ offense in points (34) and assists (19). This season, the attack has tallied 15 goals, ranking second on the team. In back-to-back games against Mercer and Queens, Downey collected a season-high seven points in each game.